Picton Clinker & Classic Boat Club
On Saturday 20th July we had Club Shed Visits to Havelock to view a historic Hayter family shed at Blackball, just past Havelock on the way to Nelson.
A worn wooden shed sits at a quiet edge of the Havelock estuary, overlooking the rusted iron carcass of a ship in the waters beyond. Club members had a look through the shed and among all the stuff stored within found some items of interest that dated back to the days when boats were built there.These are the final remnants of Blackball, a once thriving milltown and wharf 1.5 kilometres west of Havelock, established in the late 1870s to process and ship millions of metres of native timber.
A family member lives here now, quietly raising her flock of black-headed sheep on land once buzzing with industry. She is fascinated by the history of the small bay; from that ship, the Pelorus; left in its resting place in 1912; to the dovecote at the top of the wooden shed, where messenger pigeons were kept by the mill company, "to fly down to the boats and tell them when to go out".
This was followed by a visit to Roy Jones workshop near Havelock to check out the restoration he has been working on with his brother Phil who owns the boat. The photo below shows club members drooling over this beautiful little 14’ double ender that started life nearly 100 years ago in Island Bay Wellington, owned by Italian fisherman.
Roy has been working on the teak decking which can be seen in the photo and this boat will be a super addition to our club boats when it gets in the water which is not too far away. The craft will be powered by a Lombardini diesel engine
Well done Roy and Phil and we will all be looking forward to seeing this lovely boat back in the water for another 100 yrs.